I promised you the recipe, and here it is! Such a moist, lemony cake that's not too sweet. Plus, you don't have to worry about gluten intolerances. Believe me, even wheat-eaters will devour this cake!
For the cake, I was inspired by this recipe. Of course, I tweaked it a bit according to what I had on hand.
Lemon Poke Cake Recipe
6 eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup milk, almond milk, coconut milk or your choice of milk replacer
6 Tbls raw sugar or honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup coconut flour
1. Pre-heat oven to 350* and grease your pan.
2. Whisk together first four ingredients, making sure eggs are well incorporated.
3. Whisk in the coconut oil and lemon juice and zest.
4. In a separate bowl or measuring cup, sift together the last three ingredients.
5. Spoon batter into prepared pan, smooth top of batter if necessary.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes.
While your cake is baking, you can prepare your lemon syrup and frosting.
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 Tbls raw sugar or honey
1. Heat ingredients over low heat, just until sugar is dissolved.
2. When cake is done baking, poke holes in it with a fork.
3. Drizzle lemon syrup over and let cake cool.
Lemon Buttercream Frosting
1 1lb box Confectioner's Sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
4 Tbls lemon juice
2 Tbls heavy cream, optional
lemon zest to garnish
1. Whip butter until fluffy.
2. Add sugar and lemon juice alternately.
3. Add in heavy cream if frosting is too thick for your liking.
4. Frost cake when cooled and garnish with zest if desired.
There you have a delicious cake for your next celebration! But heck, who says there has to be a special occasion for cake? Every day is a special occasion!