Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Allergen Free Thumbprint Cookies


Well, I did it again...
I was all out of butter and sugar, and haven't been using Bob's GF flour in quite a while.
But I think it was a good thing.

I started to evaluate the ingredients in the recipe I usually use, and found that there really wasn't any nutritional benefits, except maybe butter...

So, of course I ditched the old recipe, and made a new one. I used coconut oil instead of butter, honey instead of white sugar, and almond and coconut flour instead of starchy bean flour. I was pleasantly surprised with how they turned out. They have a bit of a different texture, and more enjoyable flavor. Who says that cookies can't taste good, and be good for you?

A tip on the coconut oil:
Make sure that it is not in liquid form. It works better if it is like the consistency of softened butter. That way you can actually cream it!  
 

So, despite all my ramblings, here is the new recipe.
     



Thumbprint Cookies- Gluten, Dairy, Soy and Sugar Free
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg

1/2 cup almond flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup + 1 Tbls coconut flour
jam of your choice

1. Pre- heat oven to 350*
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Cream together the first 4 ingredients.
4. Mix in the next four ingredients.
5. Form dough into balls.
6. Make an indention using your thumb.
7. Fill thumbprint with your favorite jam.
8. Bake for 10 minutes, keeping an eye on the bottoms.
9. Cool on sheet before removing.
10. Enjoy!
Makes 2 dozen

       Keep calm, and eat on!


What is your favorite jam to use?
Blessings, Layla  


2 comments:

  1. I've made healthy cookies (though not gluten-free--made with whole wheat pastry flour) before, and I think they taste great, maybe even better than regular cookies, because they don't sicken you after a while ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm sounds and looks good....I will definitely have to try these. I am drooling over here =) Oh and my favorite jam to use would probably be homemade blackberry jam!!

    God bless,
    Abby

    ReplyDelete